Of Mice & Men

Of Mice & Men is, I think, considered a piece of classic American Literature. After reading it, it is easy to see why. It is a well-crafted tale that throws up interesting questions about ethics. Does this book advocate the killing of those who do not fit in with society, or the mentally infirm? I'll leave that up to whoever reads it, but that is one possible meaning from the book (I'm not saying that I agree, however!).

I was surprised at how short the book was - I guess one supposes that Noble Prize for Literature winners be a little longer. But that does not detract from the quality of the story, set in a time when the US was still developing into the powerhouse that it is now. But it reads well, and I read it all in a day as I was intrigued to see how it would finish. It didn't disappoint, but I don't want to spoil it. The characters seemed lifelike and realistic, and it was overall a pleasant read - whilst I would not go so far as to suggest that this is a book that you simply must read, it is a book that if you happen to find yourself in possession of, you would not regret reading.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Gavin's Book Log - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template