My New Reading List

Once I have torn my way through the immense pile of books that I have which currently remain unread, I aim to make my way through the list of '50 Books For Our Times' that Newsweek put together. So this really is a checklist for me. And incase the article is somehow removed over time, I am going to reproduce it now.

  1. The Way We Live Now Anthony Trollope
  2. The Looming Tower Lawrence Wright
  3. Prisoner Of The State Zhao Ziyang
  4. The Big Switch Nicholas Carr
  5. The Bear William Faulkner
  6. Winchell Neal Gabler
  7. Random Family Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
  8. Night Draws Near Anthony Shadid
  9. Predictably Irrational Dan Ariely
  10. God: A Biography Jack Miles
  11. The Unsettling Of America Wendell Berry
  12. A Good Man Is Hard To Find Flannery O'Connor
  13. Underground Harukimi Murakami
  14. Disrupting Class Clayton Christensen
  15. Air Guitar Dave Hickey
  16. Leaves Of Grass Walt Whitman
  17. The Trouble With Physics Lee Smolin
  18. City: Rediscovering The Center William H. Whyte
  19. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep Philip K. Dick
  20. Benjamin Franklin Edmund S. Morgan
  21. The Mississippi Books Mark Twain
  22. Among The Thugs Bill Buford
  23. Brooklyn Colm TÛibÌn
  24. Frankenstein Mary Shelley
  25. Bad Mother Ayelet Waldman
  26. Guests Of The Ayatollah Mark Bowden
  27. Whittaker Chamebers Sam Tanenhaus
  28. Midnight's Children Salman Rushdie
  29. American Prometheus Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin
  30. The Lost Daniel Mendelsohn
  31. Gilead Marilynne Robinson
  32. Pictures At A Revolution Mark Harris
  33. KIM Rudyard Kipling
  34. Walking With The Wind John Lewis
  35. The Line Of Beauty Alan Hollinghurst
  36. The Dark Is Rising Susan Cooper
  37. Persepolis Marjane Satrapi
  38. Underworld Don DeLillo
  39. Why Evolution Is True Jerry A. Coyne
  40. American Pastoral Philip Roth
  41. The Botany Of Desire Michael Pollan
  42. The Regeneration Trilogu Pat Barker
  43. Senator Joe McCarthy Richard H. Rovere
  44. Year Of Wonders Geraldine Brooks
  45. The Elegance Of The Hedgehog Muriel Barbery
  46. Gone Tomorrow Lee Child
  47. Things Fall Apart Chinua Achebe
  48. American Journeys Don Watson
  49. Cotton Comes To Harlem Chester Himes
  50. The New Biographical Dictionary Of Film David Thomson*
*Hmm I can see myself giving this one a miss, to be honest. 1,000+ pages of some guy's opinions on actors etc isn't exactly something I'm jumping to read.

I guess that I will have this list finished by 2012... time will see if I am a good estimator or not!

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Gavin's Book Log - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template