13 Things That Don't Make Sense

13 Things That Don't Make Sense is a scientific book, concerning the 'most baffling scientific mysteries of our time', things such as cold fusion, the placebo effect, dark energy and homeopathy. I chose to listen to it as an audiobook rather than read it as topics like this can sometimes be a bit rough on the eyes and the brain. However, Michael Brooks does an admiral job of not boring me to tears with his explanation of each mystery. It also helps that the book was read by James Adams, not someone that I have heard of before but he has a very nice tone.

As with all audiobooks, it is difficult to note anything more than an overall view given the nature of the medium, and also the fact that I listened to this on and off over a space of two months. Not that it bored me, but I saved it for train journeys mostly and I didn't make very many! I would however recommend this as you don't need to be a scientist to enjoy it and it really is full of interesting things. I learnt about a turtle that doesn't age and alien hands syndrome for instance. It will be interesting to see if during my lifetime, some of these things do end up being explained - it is certainly worth listening back to some time in the future.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Gavin's Book Log - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template